Strong leaders can help your Rotaract club find and retain members, raise funds, and carry out successful projects.
The Standard Rotaract Club Constitution states that every Rotaract club must have at least 4 officers, they are:
- President. The president shall preside at all regular and special meetings of the club and the board of directors. He/she shall, with the approval of the board, appoint all standing and special committee and, in the event of a vacancy in the board of directors, shall, with the approval of the board, fill such vacancy by appointment until the next regular election of the club. He/she shall be an ex officio member of all committees. He/she shall maintain communication with the sponsor club and the district Rotaract representative to ensure they are continually informed of all actions taken by the club.
- Vice-President. The vice-president shall succeed to the office of president in the even or removal of the latter for whatever cause, and, in the absence of the president, shall preside at all meetings of the club and of the board.
- Secretary. The secretary shall maintain all club records, He/she shall keep minutes of all the meeting of the club and board of directors, and provide copies of such to the chair of the sponsor Rotary club’s Rotaract committee.
- Treasurer. The treasurer shall have custody of all club funds, maintaining all necessary records and depositing all such funds in a bank approved by the board of directors. He/she shall report on the club’s financial status at each meeting of the club and shall hold all records available for inspection by any club member. All disbursements shall be by cheque and with the signature of two authorised officers.
Your club can also have additional officers if you think this is appropriate. Make sure you note these additional posts in your By-Laws. Many clubs find the following positions are useful additions:
- Membership Officer. The membership officer shall create and implement a recruitment strategy so that the club may increase its membership.
- Publicity Officer. The publicity officer shall attempt to increase the public awareness of the club and Rotaract within the local area. Typically the publicity officer will be responsible for club social media accounts, contacting the press with news and other related tasks.
- Social Officer. The social officer shall organise a range of social outings so that an active social calendar is available to club members.
- Personal Development Officer. The personal development officer will organise all personal development related activities such as inviting speakers to club nights.
Elections are held annually prior to 1 March. A Rotaract club year is the same as a Rotary club year and those elected shall take office on 1 July.
Board of Directors
The board of directors serves as the governing body of a Rotaract club and includes the president, immediate past president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and any additional officers your club decides it needs. Rotarian and faculty advisers should regularly attend board meetings to provide guidance. Rotary club members may also attend these meetings as observers. The board should meet at least once a month and report any action taken at the next club meeting.
During its meetings, the board reviews and approves the club’s plans and service projects, ensures the club’s financial solvency, and delegates responsibilities. At the end of the Rotary year, the board prepares a final report that describes the major actions taken over the preceding 12 months. A copy of the report should be sent to the sponsor Rotary club.
Update Your Club Information
Every six months, the Rotaract president is required to update club information and membership data with RI through My Rotary. This online process lets RI know that your club is active, confirms that your contact information is listed correctly in the Worldwide Rotaract Directory, and ensures that your club is kept up-to-date about Rotaract, preconvention activities, and resources.
Clubs that fail to update club information and membership data over a two-year period will be terminated.